About | Contact | JOIN

IRS reminds taxpayers to review tax returns for common errors

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has released a reminder for taxpayers to review their tax returns for common errors that could delay the processing of their returns. Following are some errors to avoid.
  • Missing or inaccurate Social Security numbers. Be sure to enter each Social Security number on a tax return exactly as printed on the Social Security card.
  • Misspelled names. Spell all names listed on a tax return exactly as listed on that individual's Social Security card.
  • Filing status errors. Some people claim the wrong filing status, such as Head of Household instead of Single. The Interactive Tax Assistant on IRS.gov can help taxpayers choose the correct status. E-file software also helps prevent mistakes.
  • Math mistakes. Math errors are common, ranging from simple addition and subtraction to more complex items. Transactions such as figuring the taxable portion of a pension, IRA distribution or Social Security benefits are more difficult and result in more errors. Taxpayers should always double-check their math. When you file electronically, tax preparation software does the math automatically.
  • Errors in figuring tax credits or deductions. Filers can make mistakes figuring their Earned Income Tax Credit, Child and Dependent Care Credit, the standard deduction and other items. Taxpayers must follow the instructions carefully. The IRS Interactive Tax Assistant can help determine whether a taxpayer is eligible for tax credits or deductions.
  • Incorrect bank account numbers. The IRS strongly urges all taxpayers who have a refund due to choose direct deposit. Be careful to use the right routing and account numbers on the tax return. The fastest and safest way to receive a refund is to combine e-file with direct deposit.
  • Forms not signed. An unsigned tax return is not valid. Both spouses must sign a joint return. Taxpayers can avoid this error by filing their return electronically. Sign an e-filed tax return digitally before sending it to the IRS.
  • Electronic filing PIN errors. When e-filing, taxpayers sign and validate the tax return electronically with a prior-year Self-Select Personal Identification Number. If they do not have or know their PIN, they should enter the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) from their 2015 tax return originally filed with the IRS. Taxpayers should keep a copy of their tax returns. Beginning in 2017, taxpayers using a software product for the first time may need their AGI amount from their prior-year tax returns to verify their identity. Do not use the AGI amount from an amended return or a return that the IRS corrected.
  • Filing with an expired ITIN. A tax return filed with an expired Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) will be processed and treated as timely filed but will be processed without any exemptions or credits claimed. Taxpayers will receive a notice from the IRS explaining that an ITIN must be current before any refund is paid. Once the ITIN is renewed, exemptions and credits are processed and any allowed refund paid. ITIN expiration and renewal information is available on IRS.gov.
For more information about filing a tax return, visit www.irs.gov/Filing.



Find a contractor

Roof type

ZIP Code

Find roofing contractors by state

Sponsored links